Three Decades of Higher Education Excellence Through Collaboration
SMHEC establishes committees, as needed, with representatives from each institution to guide strategy as well as provide resources to accomplish initiatives. Committee members are key ingredients in the success and execution of SMHEC projects.
Presently, the following committees operate:
- The Presidents Council is the governing body for SMHEC operations. The Council determines the strategic direction of SMHEC, establishes priorities and approves the budget.
- The Chief Academic Officers Committee is comprised of the Provosts and Vice Presidents of Academic Affairs at each of the institutions. This group establishes and guides all of our academic-related activities. Those efforts include Writing Across the Institutions, Reverse Transfer, College and Career Readiness, Healthcare Initiatives, Faculty Learning Exchanges and work with the National Student Clearinghouse.
- The Crisis Management Committee deals with all issues security and risk-based - from discussing the implications of concealed carry to training security personnel to developing the Mutual Aid Agreement.
- The majority of SMHEC members utilize Datatel/Ellucian as their Information Technology platform. The Ellucian Committee operates to share best practices and interactions with vendors to optimize their IT resources.
- The Library Committee oversees the Library Resource Sharing and Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement and meets to discuss best practices and explore ways to optimize institutional resources through collaboration and joint purchases.
- The Marketing Committee has been involved in a number of initiatives sharing marketing efforts and purchasing media services jointly. For example, a college degree guide was developed, listing information about each school and its programs. The group jointly developed a video, A College Degree IS Worth the Time and Money, and then further individualized it to each school's needs.
- Our Sustainability Committee is charged with spearheading consortial and institutional efforts to develop highly sustainable campuses and produce educational programming for students, faculty and staff. Besides sharing best practices and resources, the committee executed a joint electricity contract, resulting in significant savings for the participating institutions, and launched annual spring Student Sustainability Summits and fall Sustainability Conferences.
- The Veterans Committee networks to ensure that SMHEC schools provide the best services to veterans. They share programming ideas, events and best methods to reach veterans. The committee is working with the American Bar Association as it develops its Home Front program.